Share this quiz:
Haircuts are just about the most transformative beauty upgrades you can make. A new bob, lob, or long-haired look will instantly change your appearance and leave people seeing you in a new light.
If you’re looking to update your look in a big way, then chopping off that long hair should absolutely be on your radar. But it’s not as simple as saying ‘yes’ or ‘no’ regarding cutting your hair short. The "should I cut my hair short quiz" takes into consideration face shape, hair type and many other factors you should consider.
The pros of short hair
There are lots of reasons why going for a pixie or a bob might be the best choice for you. Here are some of them:
- It’s a low-maintenance hairstyle. Haircuts like the pixie and the bob are super low-maintenance, although some short hairstyles can require a bit of styling. A simple wash and go will do you just fine.
- It’s a timeless look that will never go out of fashion. There are certain hairstyles that will always be in style. Short hair is one of them. It’s a timeless look that has been around for decades. You’re not going to be seen as a 90s throwback anytime soon.
- You can change its look as often as you like. One of the best things about having short hair is that there’s no reason why you can’t change its look entirely as often as you like. You can go from a bob haircut to a pixie-cut in a matter of minutes.
- It’s easier to maintain if you have a busy lifestyle. If you have a hectic work schedule and always feel like you’re running out of time in the morning, then a short haircut is for you. It’s much easier to maintain than long hair and doesn’t take as long to style.
The cons of short hair
All of that information is well and good, but there are also some things to consider before chopping off your hair. Here are some of the disadvantages of having a short hairstyle:
- It grows out quickly, so you might need to visit the salon more often. Some women with short hair have to visit the salon every 4-6 weeks to maintain their hairstyle. This is because short hair grows out quickly and requires more frequent trims.
- It requires more maintenance. If you have short hair, then you are likely to have to use a lot more styling products than someone with long hair. This is because short hair is more prone to frizz and needs a bit of help keeping it under control.
- It might require extensions or weaves to change its look. If you have short hair and you want to change its look, then you might have to think about using extensions or weaves to make it happen. This is because short hair is naturally very uniform and doesn’t naturally grow in different ways, lengths, and textures.
- It’s harder to hide any bad hair days. Short hair can be a risky move if you have a sensitive scalp or are prone to white/grey hair days. It’s harder to hide unkempt hair when you have shorter hair, so you might want to reconsider if you’re going through a rough patch.
How to make long hair look short
Making long hair look short is easier than you might think. You just need to change the way you style it and choose the right haircut. If you want long hair to look short, then you should opt for a hairstyle that has a very blunt finish or a blunt fringe. This will create the illusion of a very short haircut.
You can also cut your long hair into a long bob hairstyle. This is a long hairstyle with a very blunt finish and will give the same effect.
You can also opt for a short pixie cut. This is a very short haircut but with a uniform and blunt finish that will make your hair look super short.
You can also chop your long hair into a choppy bob. This is a very blunt haircut that has been layered and chopped into different lengths. This will make your hair look very short.
Changing the texture of your long hair to something shorter and more blunt by going for a curly or wavy hairstyle can also make your hair look shorter. Curly and wavy hair has been very fashionable in recent years and is a great way to make long hair look short.
Does short hair make you look fatter?
This is a question that has been asked many times, and the answer is no. You can change the look of your hair entirely by cutting it short, so it’s not like you’re going to walk around with a fat head. If you have a lot of hair on your head, it doesn’t make you look fatter, no matter what length it is.
This misconception may stem from people assuming that your hair is actually contributing to your weight rather than being simply a decoration on your head.
Should you cut your hair short?
Now that we’ve covered all of the positive and negative aspects of short hair, you’re hopefully better informed about whether you should go for a pixie, bob, or lob. You should also have a good idea of how to make long hair look short if you’re not ready to go for a super-short haircut just yet.
If you're still unsure, try the short hair quiz to see if you really should cut your hair or not. It's a step-by-step process that will take less than 2 minutes to complete.
Finally, remember that there is no right time to cut your hair short. Whether you go for a pixie, bob, or lob, it doesn’t matter. What matters is that you’re happy with your hair, and you’re prepared for all the changes that come with a drastic haircut. We hope that this this short hair quiz has helped yo and perhaps this article made you think more about the pros and cons of short hair.
The decision is up to you!